No matter how carefully your child cares for their teeth, tooth extractions may be needed in certain circumstances. Your Lake Havasu, AZ, dentist at Cosmic Kids Dentistry offers extractions and other services your kids need for good oral health.
How can I tell if my child may benefit from a tooth extraction?
Tooth extractions may be needed in several cases, including:
- Extensive Decay: If the majority of a tooth is decayed, it may not be possible to save it. Pain is usually a major symptom of decay, as is tooth discoloration and frequent bad breath, even after brushing. Sensitivity is also common with decay, and it may arise when your child eats sugary, hot, and cold foods. Although root canals can save some decayed teeth, extraction may be the only option if the decay is widespread.
- Dental Abscess: Severe decay can also cause an abscess, an infection in the tooth's pulp. If your child has an abscess, they may complain of severe pain and have a fever. You may notice swelling around the jaw, swollen lymph nodes, a pimple or pus on the gum, or that the gums are red and swollen. If this is the case, your child will need antibiotics to prevent the infection from spreading. Once again, your child's Lake Havasu dentist may be able to save the tooth with a root canal, but an extraction may be required in some cases.
- Damage: Extraction may be the only choice if your child breaks or cracks a tooth during an accident or athletic competition. If the tooth can't be restored with a crown or the damage extends into the root, your Lake Havasu dentist may recommend extraction.
- Delayed Appearance of a Permanent Tooth: Sometimes baby teeth need to be removed if they prevent permanent teeth from erupting naturally or if they don't fall out on their own. If a baby tooth is still in your child's mouth but you can see the permanent tooth in front of or behind it, it's a good idea to schedule an appointment with the dentist.
- Wisdom Tooth Pain: If your teenager complains at pain at the back of the mouth, they may have partially or fully impacted wisdom teeth. Failing to remove the teeth can cause more than just pain, too. If the teeth are left in place, they can cause nerve damage and push nearby teeth out of alignment.
Does your child need a tooth extraction? Call your Lake Havasu, AZ, dentist at Cosmic Kids Dentistry at (928) 855-7717 to schedule an appointment.